Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Steps Through The Process


Pastel Painting

How to Use a Large Abstract Shape to Begin The Design



Working on Wallis Sanded Paper
Blocking in a loose abstract shapes which contrast light and dark.
I am using an abstract block letter Y on this one.
The block in is using nupastels  in a dark green, a dark blue and a violet red.


Now I lightly worked alcohol into the pastel underpainting to set it in. 
I also let it drip and run together to create some beginning textures.


At this step,  I just wanted to create some more texture with some marks. 
I used a palette knife to do this.


At this stage I added color.  Loose board strokes to suggest more than describe.
In a small study,  I probably would have stopped with this.  I think it describes a mood and
gives enough information to describe the scene.


At this point,  it is time to stop and look.
I like to place a mat around the painting and walk off.
I will come back and look with a fresh eye to evaluate my design.


"Beside the Lake"

Pastel on Sanded Paper

10x8

$250


No comments:

Post a Comment