Sunday, October 18, 2009

Criteria for Judging an Art Show for Awards


Degas
Dancing Class
oil on canvas
Musee d'Orsay, Paris


Over the past few months, I have received the honor of being asked to judge a few art shows. Along with this honor comes a lot of hard work, and difficult decisions. Setting aside personal taste of style and medium is really not that difficult as it may seem. The difficult task sometimes comes down to being able to set criteria that works within all mediums, styles, and skill levels. Art clubs and organizations all seem to have their own unique way of setting up categories. With this in mind, I have developed a list of criteria checklist for my judging. I don't use a point system, although that might develop for me later.


Impact
I first walk through and put a dot or mark by each piece that grabs my attention for any
reason. I am looking for an overall impact, whether by color, shape, subject, or anything that really "speaks" to me. This is my first walk through, and I don't spend time to think, just react to what I see.


Creativity and Originality
I lump these together, because it is hard to define them separately. Does the work, have a unique voice or interpretation , even if about a common subject? Does it evoke an emotion or reaction?

Composition and Design
The use of line, color, texture, shape, form, direction, space and perspective within the picture plane.

Color and Value
Is there dominance, variety, repetition, unity, balance, contrast?
I am actually looking for these in all the elements of design.

Movement
Is my interest and my eye lead with a natural flow to points of interest?

Skill and Control of Medium

Presentation

1 comment:

  1. if want to define out 4 main criteria that influence a piece of art work? The 4 criteria will be?

    ReplyDelete