Monday, March 16, 2009

Using a Limited Palette of Earth Color Triads

Catching Rays
Acrylic on Paper
30 x22
Judy Wilder

Intersection
Acrylic on Paper
30 x22
Judy Wilder


Cannas Leaves
Acrylic on Paper
30 x 22
Judy Wilder


These three paintings were the result of a Facebook comment I made on Jan Blencowe's video she had posted on her Facebook. I thought her palette she showed looked like a wonderful abstract painting. When I mentioned there, that I might try using the limited triad, the challenge/paintoff was begun.
It was great fun and a wonderful exercise in trying something new.
This was quite a shift in my work, since I usually start with three transparent and staining colors and then begin to glaze and layer with complementary colors.
This time I had to find new colors within the mixture of the triad. The greatest challenge to me using this particular triad was they were not all transparent and staining colors. The three colors used were yellow ochre, french blue and transparent red oxide. As you will see with Jan's, this is a wonderful triad for landscape painting.
I didn't stop with one. The way I work is to begin with a really wet paper and saturate it with colors. Since it takes a day to dry, I was impatient and began three.
I really like how all three of them turned out. Each person that has seen them, has picked a different favorite.
In a few days, I will post some photos of Jan's and another artist that painted the challenge.
I plan to try out different colors using a limited palette. Thinking of using magenta, cyan, and yellow. I think that will give beautiful floral colors.
Please leave your comments and vote for your favorite one of mine, here.


5 comments:

  1. These are lovely, and using just three colors is a fun and amazing thing to do. I've had success with ivory black, yellow ochre, and cad red; fun is, no blue? no green? you can make 'em.... Also, you can try any triad from the color wheel--thirds apart. Red violet, blue-green, and yellow-orange are quite wonderful. Ok to use white too, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, black and yellow make beautiful greens.
    Having great fun with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These paintings are lovely. I especially enjoying how the neutrality pulls everything else together. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These paintings are amazing Judy,once again great job.

    ReplyDelete